Friday, June 3, 2016

Love Story Part II: First Dates

The day after we met, Derek called me and asked me out for Saturday. I saw him the day before our date at a devotional at the institute and I felt really nervous to talk to him. But we chatted for a little while afterwards about how awesome we felt because we were both able to shake Elder Holland's hand.

Saturday night came and he picked me up. We met up at Derek's best friend Jordan's house and headed to pick up his date and the other couples in our group. Derek knew Jordan's date and she asked if he was Jordan's brother. Derek is a tease and went along with it. "Yeah!", he said. And she said, "Wait Jordan's brother just got married." She looked at me and said "So you must be his wife?" I froze and felt so uncomfortable which only got worse as Derek said "Yep." and scooted closer and put his hand on my knee. I must've looked at him with a shocked face like "How dare you tease about that. This is our first date!" He probably felt my discomfort and scooted back to his own seat and straightened out that we weren't married and that he wasn't Jordan's brother. After picking up the other couples, we hauled off to Walmart and split up to buy sandwich fixins. Derek showed off a little by putting the self-checkout machine in Spanish. And I talked about grilled peaches. We went back to the house and made sandwiches, played Apples to Apples, and Swedish Twister. By then it was time to go, and he brought me home. We talked more in the car and asked each other questions. We had a good time and I had a lot of fun. He said he would love to go out again and I said sure.

Derek has told me that as soon as he met me he wanted to ask me out. So he did. And after our first date, he told me that he wanted to ask me out again, but didn't want to do it too soon. He held it in for a week, and the next Saturday, while he was working at the temple, he thought about asking me out again, and just got a feeling that he should do it that day. So he called me to go out to lunch. He came to pick me up in his work clothes, (he works at a greenhouse) and we went to Chick-Fil-A. He made  excuses to hold my hand several times, and me being the shy, to-myself person that I am, I was like "No." and made excuses to not hold his hand several times. We ate food, and talked more about our interests and things. He brought me back home and I talked to my mom. Him trying to hold my hand on our second date was way too fast for me. We texted throughout the next week, and I got a little tired of him texting me all the time. I didn't feel for him the way he was clearly feeling about me. He asked me to a concert the next month, and I declined. As we talked, I asked him how he felt about me. He said he only talks about that stuff in person. (Points.) So we decided to go on a picnic in the canyon and talk about our relationship. I got sick the day of and cancelled. Derek was a sweetheart and brought me grape juice and a get well card. When really he was kind of upset that I cancelled on him. I felt bad that I had cancelled so I called him up when I felt a little better that evening, and we met up at a park and chatted.



No comments:

Post a Comment