Thursday, June 2, 2016

Love Story Part I: Meet Cute

It was a nice Thursday afternoon. I was sitting in my chair in the soprano section waiting for rehearsal to start. Running through the lines to High On the Mountain Top, trying to memorize my notes to I Lived in Heaven. General Conference was in a month and I couldn't wait to be a part of the choir that would be singing for the Saturday Afternoon Session. Sitting there quietly, bobbing my head to the music running through my mind, I noticed one of the men sitting in our section a few rows ahead of me. That happened often, and I usually didn't pay attention. But this one caught me. He stood up and turned around, pushing past legs to head to his seat in the tenor section. My heart stopped beating and I froze. This kid looked like an angel from heaven, his smile glistening like the setting sun on the ocean. His eyes had a twinkle in them like the stars on a clear night, shining through the darkness, lighting up my world. It was obviously love at first sight... 

Yeah, actually he just looked a lot like a friend of mine who was then on a mission in Korea. Whom I had a very large crush on at the time. For the next few weeks, I saw this guy walking around the chapel before rehearsals and every time, I double took because the resemblance was uncanny. 

March 19th, 2014: "Ann and I went to Pie Night at Village Inn and I looked around the table where we were going to sit. And that kid is there. I have a mini freak-out moment inside. “No way. No way. No way.” So we get to know him a little bit and whatever. His name is Derek. He’s pretty cool."

We walked in and I saw him sitting there and freaked out just a little bit. Ann sat next to him and I sat next to her. He was wearing a coat and glasses, and had the most beautiful blue eyes I've ever seen. We got to talking and for some reason it was really easy to talk to him. I've never been a people person, and I am not conversational, but with him it was different. I wanted to talk to him. We found lots of things in common, like ballroom dancing, singing, and we both love the t.v. show, Psych. We talked about that and someone mentioned having a Psych night sometime. As the night went on, we still talked, and I thought he was cute and nice to talk to. We went to pay for our meals and before we left, he said to me, "Hey how are we going to have a Psych night if I don't have your number?" Sneaky one. So I gave him my number. He texted me that night and the next day asked me out on our first date.

Read Part II Here



No comments:

Post a Comment