Sunday, September 27, 2015

Blood Red

I have a personal dream of being able to compare the smallest, most seemingly insignificant, and even silliest moments of my life to some principle of the Gospel. I have noticed that the Prophets and Apostles, Institute and Seminary Teachers can all do this. They can spill a cup of soda at a basketball game and find some gospel tie to it. I want to be able to do that.

Tonight, my dream came true. I thought of a really cool Gospel comparison, and I want to share.

A lunar eclipse occurred tonight. This is where the Earth is in line with the Sun and Moon, and because of this, it casts a shadow on the moon, turning it somewhat red.


My family and I went out every few minutes to see if the moon had come up yet. However, we could not see it for quite a while. I noticed that it was incredibly dark. I couldn't see anything. Even the stars seemed rather dim. After a couple of hours, after we could see the red moon, the shadow started to go away, and the bright moon began to appear. And all of the sudden, we could see the clouds across the sky, with the moonlight gently lighting them up. We could see the silhouettes of the trees around us a lot better.

In life, the bright moon is the Light of Christ. The Earth is our trials, or Satan. Sometimes, our trials, or Satan, cast a shadow over the light of Christ, and we think it's not there anymore. We are surrounded by darkness and we can't see any of the beauty around us. We feel alone. We feel like there is no more light and we won't make it through. However, the moon, the light, Christ, is still there, it's just red. "Blood red." Christ is still there, red as blood. He performed the Atonement, bled from every pore, so we could overcome our sins, our mistakes, our trials. He performed the Atonement so we can conquer Satan. And if we remember that, use the Atonement, use Christ, believe that He is still there to help us, we can overcome our trials, we can win against Satan and if we wait long enough, if we fight long enough, the bright moon begins to show again, and soon the moon is lighting up everything in sight. We can see the clouds, we can see the beauty that was there the whole time, we just couldn't see it in the darkness. If we push through to see the whole light of Christ again, we can see the magnificent clouds, the beautiful silhouettes again.



I testify that this principle is true. The Atonement is real. I've used it. I will use it for the rest of my life. I will take advantage of it. The Savior came to this Earth, taught in parables, healed the sick, blessed the children, washed feet, shed tears, shed blood, and finally died for me. For you. He did it for us. I am so grateful. I feel completely inadequate as well. I make mistakes. I have let the darkness envelop me where I don't think there's light anymore. But, I have learned to keep the Atonement in sight. To keep believing that there is light.

One of the songs we sang last year in the choir I'm in was "The Lord is My Light." (Click and give it a listen. It's powerful.) There is a line in it that says "The Lord is my light, my all and in all, there is in His sight, no darkness at all." He overcame all darkness. He can help us overcome all darkness. If we just let Him. We just have to have the courage to let Him in, and He'll guide us. He'll walk with us and remind us how important we are and how much we are loved by Him and our Father above. I testify that this is true. The Lord is our light. He is the light of the world.

"The Lord is my light, then why should I fear?"

"The Lord is my light. The Lord is my strength. I know in His might, I'll conquer at length. My weakness, in mercy, He covers with power, and walking by Faith I am blessed every hour."

"The Lord is my Light. My joy and my song. By day and darkening night, He leads me along."

I love the Lord. I love Jesus Christ. I know He is the Savior of the world. I know the Atonement is real. I know it is there for us to use. I know that I can overcome anything that darkens my path, if I keep remembering that He is the light. He knows the way. He knows me. He loves me. I love this Gospel. I love the simpleness of it. I love the feeling I get from it. I love knowing the truth. I know the truth. This Gospel is true. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true. I know it with all of my heart.

I testify to you these things, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Happy Sunday my friends! Life is Good. God is Good. Remember who you are.



No comments:

Post a Comment